Ruskin Junior School's Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Coordinator (SENDCo) is Mrs Mitchell. Our link governor is Paul Cooper.
Ruskin's Special Needs Information Report
All children have an entitlement to be taught a broad and balanced curriculum. For children with SEND we provide an additional level of support and differentiation according to identified needs.
We ensure children with additional needs have access to all activities with appropriate support as required. This may include support for physical, medical, learning, mental and emotional and social needs. We assess children when they start at Ruskin and regularly during their time with us to ensure that we are identifying any additional needs as they arise.
A child with SEND has an individual education (IEP) in which we collaboratively set specific targets and resources with parents. When external professionals such as speech and language therapists, educational psychologists or doctors are involved, they are also invited to contribute and this may be towards a more complex Statement of Education Need or Education Health Care Plan (EHCP).
At Ruskin, the Governing Body and staff are committed to early intervention and support for pupils with SEND. In order to achieve this, governors:
- Ensure that the school has an SEND policy and review it on a regular basis
- Expect staff to identify children with SEND and monitor their progress carefully
- Ensure appropriate staffing and training where finances permit
- Appoint a governor responsible for SEND
- Ensure that pupils with SEND are fully integrated and not discriminated against